Friday, April 22, 2016

Grabbing some moments!









For the last three years I have chosen a word each year to be a point of inspiration to use for taking photos and just living my life.  Moments is my word for 2016.  Moments are tiny bits of time to savor and remember. This quotation by the late Pat Conroy sums up my feelings about moments.

"Why do they not teach you 
that Time is a finger snap and an eye blink,
And that you should not allow a moment to pass you by 
without taking joyous, ecstatic, note of it,

Not wasting a single moment.     

Moments can be a single piece of time or as much as a few hours.  Spending time with family and friends has moments that I record with photos for remembering later.  Photos of happiness.    I find my favorite moments usually happen when I am alone, walking, wandering, meandering,  just being with myself.  Not having to talk to anyway, not having to think about anything in particular.  Just being me.  

Nature is my balm and my medicine.  I can be out of sorts or stressed or just too tired to function as I want.  But the minute I walk around the yard, sit in the grass or even on the porch wrapped up in blanket on the rocking chair because it is freezing cold, I can feel all these bad feelings let go..or I let them go.   I give myself a gift each day by walking the dog along the road here or on a path through the woods nearby.  Sometimes, I run away from home to a park or a place where there are trails in the deep forest, or maybe to the mountains or the beach. Driving a couple of hours just to be away from the thing that gets me unsettled.    A little further away but I know when I need to go.  The silence of the forest gives my brain a rest. The ocean helps me breathe deeply.   Just me with me.
Being still and silent; walking with nothing on my mind except where I am.

And usually the camera is along because something of nature will always jump in path to give me a piece of its joy and happiness.  Make me smile!   Here are some bits of nature that found me in the last few weeks.   My mental health helpers.























Taking note of each moment of my life!

3 comments:

  1. Moments are precious to be sure. I agree that some of my best moments can also happen when I am on my own in nature or in a quiet spot somewhere where I can just listen to the silence.
    I can see that you have captured some wonderful moments with your camera. My favourite is the little green leaf lying on the wet sand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring text accompanied by a collection of lovely images. I might choose this word, next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely glimpse of nature that called out to you! I love the simplicity of the images. Nature has the power to restore us and center us. I, too, love to take my walks and just "be in the moment". This post really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete